Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Natalie Slater - About Me


 (I decided to post a family picture because my kids are much cuter than me - so they make me look good!)

My name is Natalie Slater and I am a senior at WSU. I am considered a "non-traditional student" on campus because this is my fourth semester back after almost a 20 year break from college. I received my associate degree in 1992 and a lot has changed since then.  Weber State accepted all 95 of my credits from the other colleges that I had attended and I was excited to get back into school last year.  I am married with seven children. Yes, you read that right! I guess you could say that we are the "Brady Bunch," with a blended family but we have four girls and three boys instead, and no Alice!  We have been a family for eight years now with children ranging from 8 - 18 years old.  I didn't really have "spare time" to go back to school but always had a dream of doing it, so when my husband suggested it after our youngest started first grade, I thought it would be a great excuse to get out of cleaning and laundry all of the time.  I just completed my classes to complete my minor degree, which is in Psychology. My major is Organizational Communication.  Before having children, I worked for a large insurance company in the Human Resource Department and loved it.  I have my Human Resource Management Certification, Medical Terminology Training Certification, and Human Resource Law Certification.  Then I took an extended "break" just to be a mom.  Now that they are a little older, I decided to go back into a similar field of Human Resources, accomplishing it through the communications department.  I have always enjoyed doing training for employees and with having a degree and more education, I hope at some point to return to the workforce strong and better educated.  My life at home is never boring. We have had some wonderful memories as a family as we have gone on week-long adventures around the United States.  I love to camp, enjoy the outdoors, four-wheeling, and even some hiking.  I also love music.  I have played the piano consistently for 36 years and have been able to accompany for the junior high choirs.  I also love to sing and have performed with my daughter a number of times.  I am originally from Idaho, which is where most of my extended family still lives.  I am really looking forward to another year at WSU.  This has been an amazing experience and opportunity that I have had to continue my education.  It has been great for my children to see that you are never too old to receive an education.  I know that I have to study significantly more than they do and it has been good for them to see how important a college education is and that you have to study and work hard to achieve your goals.  It has also been a huge benefit to learn about the college system in order to help them soon be able to apply to college, along with work hard so they can earn scholarships. 

1 comment:

  1. You are a wonder woman! I only have one baby and have a hard time juggling everything, but 7?! Good for you. Also glad to hear that Weber took all of your credits.

    ReplyDelete