Sunday, August 31, 2014

Hello


My name is Kya Hadley. I am from Ogden and attended Weber High. I work as the office manager for my family's landscaping company and I'm also the program director and coach of a competitive cheerleading program. I have been married for six years to my high school sweet heart.

We had our first baby on May 2nd and we named her Swayzee Jane, Sway for short. She is the most precious little baby and I am so happy to be her mom. But going to school full time, working two jobs, interning and taking care of a newborn is quite challenging sometimes.

I have been going to school since I graduated high school in 2008. I began taking pre-dental courses and completed about 75 percent of the program when I decided it wasn't for me. It took a long time to admit that I wasn't interested in the dental field anymore; I had been planning on going to dental school ever since I can remember. But I was completely miserable and needed a fresh start.

I began researching different programs at Weber State and came across PR. I had a friend who studied PR at Weber and was currently the Public Relations practitioner of a Dental office. So I decided to pick her brain. She was so passionate about what she was doing that it got me really excited. I signed up for classes the next semester and it was the best decision I ever made.

I can't even begin to tell you how different science and communications classes are. I use to go to class, sit in a room with upwards of 100 students and take notes quietly. I was completely caught off guard when I took my first communication class. People were actually talking to each other, and the professors encouraged it. It took me a while to warm up to this new style of learning, but I can honestly say that I have learned so much more by participating in the lecture rather than just taking notes.

Although juggling a new life as a mom and being a working student is hard work, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel because this is my last semester. I will be graduating in December with a Bachelor's degree in Public Relations and Advertising. I am lucky enough to say that I already have a job lined up once I graduate. This summer I interned for the Pediatric Care of Ogden and they offered me a permanent position in December.

I'm so looking forward to starting this new chapter in my life. I can't explain how excited I am to have my daughter attend my graduation. I will be the very first person in my family who will graduate from college and I hope I can be an example to my little girl. I want to show her that hard work does pay off and not to be afraid to follow your dreams.


I'm not really sure what life will be like without homework and sleepless nights of studying, but I can honestly say that I am excited to find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment