Friday, August 22, 2014

Welcome to COMM 3220 Editing

Welcome to COMM 3220 Editing at Weber State University. 

I hope this class will help you become the best writer and editor you can be whether your writing will appear online, on paper or on the air. As the textbook points out, it is more important than ever to know how to communicate crisply, clearly and powerfully in the dynamic, evolving, cross-platform, multimedia environment in which today's writers function.  

In this class, we will review some of the basics, plus focus on grammar and style rules you may have never understood or even thought about. I know you'll be a better writer and editor at the end if you put some time and attention toward this class. I promise a fun and educational experience.

To help you through the class, I will post modules complete with a weekly to-do list every Monday at 8 a.m. You will have until midnight Sunday to complete your work for the week. I have supplemented materials with narrated PowerPoint slides. I hope you will download the Wimba wizard and listen and learn. I also commit to three in-person test reviews so mark your calendars and try to attend. It's not required, but you'll likely do better on the tests if you attend. 

Even though this is an online class, I am also willing to answer your questions in person. As you may know, I am chair of the Department of Communication at Weber State so I am in my office Monday through Thursday and often on Fridays. The best way to reach me is through email. Occasionally, I take a weekend off from email so make sure you get your questions answered by Friday afternoon. 

If you encounter any issues with something in Canvas, please let me know right away so I can fix the problem for everyone, but I am usually pretty careful. Read the syllabus carefully so that you understand the plan for the semester. Take a look at how I have things organized in Canvas, but your best bet is to use Modules. Items are generally located in multiple places. 

Thank you for taking my class and here's a little about me.

Before coming to teach at Weber State University 20 years ago, I worked for 18 years as a print journalist. I worked for three daily newspapers—the Standard-Examiner, The Herald Journal and the Colorado Springs Sun—two different times each. A few of the job titles I held were reporter, news editor, assistant city editor, graphics editor and weekend editor. I also taught briefly at the University of Utah and in Westminster College’s graduate program. At WSU, I primarily teach classes required in the journalism and public relations concentrations. I also teach in the Honors Department and advised the student newspaper, The Signpost, for six years. I served as the first director of the new Master of Professional Communication program for two years. Two years ago I was named chair of the Department of Communication. Since becoming a college professor, I have taken frequent jobs as a freelance editor. I have published one book (“Visualizing Web Design”), edited a book about Hot Rod Hundley, numerous websites for high-tech clients, news releases and media packets for public relations firms, and print advertisements. A part of my life is also spent as a communication researcher. I have published a number of academic journal articles and book chapters since coming to WSU. I consider editing my strength and am always excited to teach this class.    

No comments:

Post a Comment