Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Hello,

My name is Marcus Call.  I am currently a grad student in the MPC (Master in Professional Communication) program and I am on schedule to graduate at the end of February 2015.  I enjoy writing, specifically creative writing, and I am seeking to improve my skills as an editor.  As part of the MPC program we took a course titled, Professional Writing, which was a good overview to the world of professional writing and editing but I would like to build on that on that skill-set even further.

My wife and I are originally from Seattle, WA but moved to the Salt Lake metro area Labor Day weekend of 2012, and we currently live in Centerville.  With the majority of both of our families living in Utah it made sense to make the move, and I also seized upon the opportunity to complete a master’s degree.  It has been a rewarding experience thus far, and I would highly recommend the MPC program to anyone seeking a master’s degree from Weber State.

In my free-time (not that I have a lot right now) I enjoy reading, creative writing and hopefully soon editing.  I am also an avid sports fan, and am obviously a fan of Seattle sports teams, and was thrilled earlier this year when the Seattle Seahawks won their first Super Bowl.  My wife and I are currently enraptured by the current American League pennant race for the Wild Card in Major League Baseball right now as we are both Seattle Mariners fans as well.  I also enjoy hiking, walking our Siberian Husky, and still go skiing occasionally.  The proximity of the mountains here in Utah make these type of recreational activities easily accessible and this feature has been one of our favorite of this state so far.

Fall is my favorite season here in Utah, or anywhere for that matter, and I am looking forward to enjoying recreational opportunities with the leaves changing colors and the cooler temperatures.  I am looking forward to this semester, as I am also enrolled in a Web Usability course as part of the MPC program, where I hope to learn more about analytics and other web features related to business.  I am also going to be pursuing a volunteer editing project as part of this course where I hope to help edit a newsletter for the assisted living facility my mother currently resides in.  Additionally, I am looking forward to the conclusion of the MPC program so I can have some more time to enjoy my hobbies and to pursue my career interests.

I currently work for a medical credentialing company in South Jordan, Verisys Inc, where I work as a Quality Analyst helping to ensure the accuracy of the company website.  I have also worked in online retail as an editor and at some point would like to make the transition back to that field.  I am hoping that the additional skills I obtain from this course will help increase the amount of opportunities for me in that industry.

1 comment:

  1. Seattle is one of my favorite cities! I always thought that if I moved out of state it would be to Seattle. I really appreciated your comments about the MPC program at Weber State. I've thought a lot about getting my master's once I finish my bachelor's degree. It's always nice to hear from someone who's in the program and experiencing it first hand. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete