Sunday, December 7, 2014

Last Blog Post


Wow, what a busy semester for editing! I feel like I have learned so many valuable skills that I can apply to my future careers. This week’s editing assignment was quite interesting. I enjoyed reading my sister’s paper she wrote for her English class. It was pretty awesome actually applying what we learned all semester to help someone improve their writing rather than doing assignments. I only ran into one challenge while editing her work. He writing was for an English 2010 class, and the writing style is slightly different than Communication. As I was correcting her errors, she would tell me that her professor insisted that her paper was properly written. For me, I find it challenging to transition from English to Communication. I found it extremely helpful to check back with the AP Style book to double check and make sure we had the correct form.


After editing my sister’s paper, I felt like a real editor! I was proud that I could take what I learned in this class. The main take away from this assignment was how important it is to provide constructive criticism. I did not want to bash on my sister’s paper, but at the same time I felt it was important to lay it out honestly for her. In the “real world” we are always going to be asked to provide criticism to our fellow employees, and I feel like this assignment prepared me for that skill. 

Overall, this was an extremely valuable and effective class, and I absolutely loved it!

Last Editing Mistake of the Week:




This poor individual thought he or she was doing a good dead. Apparently we should try to smoke a little quieter next time! The correct spelling is "allowed."

No comments:

Post a Comment