Sunday, November 16, 2014

Editing Student Finds Writing Headlines To Be ‘Harder Than Expected’


So this is the second week of writing headlines and I feel I am starting to get the hang of it. My biggest struggle was writing the headlines to look good. Oh, also to avoid sounding like a parrot. :) 

Last week I completed the writing headlines assignment before I completed the finding headlines assignment. I think if I had done the assignments the other way around, I would have had a much easier time. Looking at the different headlines around the Internet at the different types of headlines prepared me for this weeks’ assignments. Here are the top tips I found most helpful when writing my headlines: 

·      Don’t be a parrot
·      Replace “and” with a comma to save space
·      Don’t split important information or names to two lines

Overall, I found that writing headlines is more of an art than I expected it to be. To have a truly catching headline that is both fitting to the story and the space provided you must be creative.

This week I was shown a grammar mistake in one of my classes. It was an example given from an obituary that read “He passed away with the love of his life and his wife of 25 years by his side.” See how that sounds like they are two different people?

1 comment:

  1. "Avoid sounding like a parrot" is a great way to explain it. I think the length constraint makes writing headlines very difficult.

    ReplyDelete