Thursday, November 20, 2014

Important rules for headlines

An important rule that I learned from the PowerPoint slides on Headlines was "to stress the message, not the messenger"; I was always under the impression that the person being quoted was more important than the message, but apparently that is incorrect. When writing my headlines I tried to emphasize the message and/or the most important aspect of the story, which are both important elements of writing effective headlines. For example, when doing the first "Writing Headlines" assignment I left out "Facebook" from the headline on the story about bigamy; however, on the second "Writing Headlines" assignment I made sure to put "Facebook" in my headline. These are the kind of things I learned and improvements I made from the first week of headlines to the second week.

Editing Mistake

From an IM I received this morning at work:

"....and queue the song..."

I found this hilarious because obviously my coworker had confused "queue" with "cue", the first being a term often used to describe a function or application of workflow relating to computers. We have many queues on our computers at work and it was clear the that word had created some confusion for this coworker.

No comments:

Post a Comment