Saturday, November 15, 2014

Headlines! Get your headlines!

I felt a little more confident this week with writing headlines.  I love reading the news and spend time every day reading clips from the news, but I notice so much more in the writing and headlines now that I have some knowledge as to how the whole process works.

This week while working on creating the headlines, I tried hard to make sure that I read through the whole article and then sat and really thought about what message was trying to be portrayed.  I would ask myself, "In one sentence, if I were telling someone what this was about, what would I say?"  That was how I started.  Sometimes it worked in one sentence, and sometimes it was a few sentences that I would jot down and then go from there.

I think that one of the most helpful ways to continue learning to write headlines is to keep reading them on everything.  Pick up newspapers.  Pick up magazines.  Then read the article and reevaluate the headline to see if it fits.  I thought it was fun to get inside the writers' heads and see maybe what they were thinking to come up with the different headlines.

For my editing mistake this week:  World News nice and big!  Oops!  I hate it when we misspell words like "Chaos."



No comments:

Post a Comment