Sunday, November 2, 2014

Transitions (Blog 10)
This was an interesting week of transitions and leads.  The leads are kind of fun but they can also be very difficult.  I got the general concept of the leads but I am still going to have to practice those to truly cement the information in my head.  The concept that I really enjoyed this week is the transitions.  I have always used transitions in my writing but I never realized exactly how important they are and I have never thought of them as an actual concept or element of writing.

In one of our supplemental readings it states, "Transitions help you...by establishing logical connection between sentences, paragraphs, and sections of your papers.  In other words, transitions tell readers what to do with the information you present to them...they function as signs for readers that tell them how to think about, organize, and react to old and new ideas as they read through what you have written."

Ultimately transitions should frame how your reader thinks.  They are like road signs through your writing.  Just like a road sign transitions can tell the reader that a sharp turn is up ahead.  They can tell them when it is time to stop at one point or act as a green light to keep moving on.

I have written many papers a paragraph at a time and just left them as I wrote them. Like I stated I have never thought of a transition as an actual element in writing but from this time forward I will try to seamlessly move from one paragraph to another.

Editing Mistake of the Week

I have found that the KSL Classifieds have mistake after mistake.  I have been thinking about getting another Pit bull so I have been checking the classifieds.  Here is one I saw today.
pitbull puppies
riverton, UT   84065   |   Nov 2, 2014

 
I have 4 pit bull puppies left. I need to get them in there new homes. I have 1 female left and 3 males. They are 7 weeks. Very beautiful pups ready for there homes mom and dad on site please call or text with any questions

In this ad the owner used the word THERE incorrectly two different times.  They should have used THEIR.  That is just two mistakes in this ad but they have also missed some punctuation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment