Sunday, November 2, 2014

Lead me, Guide me.... To a good grade!

I am majoring in Communications with an emphasis in PR and Advertising and it seems like in every class that I have right now we continually talk about the importance of leads and what they can do for you. I liked the readings this week and learning about the different types of leads. I had no idea of all of the specific types of leads but I am sure it is good to know what kinds of leads there are if different audiences are what you are trying to attract, and I learned about the differences this week. I love to read and I am always reading a book of some kind. Right now I am reading The Stand by Stephen King and he does a fantastic job of all types of writing, but especially when starting a new chapter or paragraph. The leads the begin these chapters are phenomenal examples and do a great job of getting me excited for the upcoming chapter. For an example of a good lead, I went back to the beginning of the book and re-read the first paragraph in the first chapter of the book. It says:
                         "Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street    
                          burg about 110 miles from Houston. Tonight the regulars were there, sitting by the  
                          cash register, drinking beer, talking idly, watching the bugs fly into the big lighted
                          sign."
To me, this lead does a great job of painting a picture for the reader of how the city is and that there are a group of people sitting around together. Also, I just like everything that Stephen King writes.


 
This is not an editing mistake, but it is a funny play on the use of commas and I thought you guys would like it! Enjoy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment