Monday, November 17, 2014

Roger Corry on headlines

There were several areas in the PowerPoint presentations that I found very helpful. The first was slide 1 “The headline should reflect the overall idea of the story.” When I first tried to create headlines I skimmed the story and tried to pick out some interesting points. I really struggled to come up with decent headlines. Then I re-read the story and highlighted some of the stronger points in the story. Creating the headline became much easier even though I felt that I understood the story. The second slide that really helped me was slide 3. The tip mentions that “The headline should show how the story affects readers”. The headlines became much easier to create once I implemented the tips from slide 1 and 2.


The one tip that I struggled with the most was tip 15 from slide 15. That tip mentions to have fun writing the headlines. I must confess that I didn’t find any part of this assignment fun. But I did learn more about how to create a headlines. Maybe the fun starts to happen once the techniques become more natural and intuitive. This assignment did help me to appreciate the time and experience that it takes to create good headlines.

No comments:

Post a Comment