Sunday, November 23, 2014

YVAS - A Beautiful Site

While looking for websites with beautiful design and great usability I came across Yellowstone Valley Animal Shelter. For starters they use a background with great texture. It is simple and not overwhelming but adds depth to the site.


They also use a great big image on the front page that makes it abundantly clear what this site is about. They have a simple, but memorable logo in the top left hand corner of the page. The site is easy to navigate as all of the important links are on the left-hand side of the site and big enough to easily see. 

The site also does not use too much color. They stuck with a very simple color palette so as to not overwhelm the reader. The addition of the small amount of bright green and orange makes it clear that the words in those colors are very important. I believe this site is a great example of good web design techniques. 

http://www.yvas.org/

I found this great example of bad punctuation on a blog that I was reading this week:

As I read the book "Eats Shoots & Leaves" for my report I found this error especially humorous. The author goes over the proper use of both italics and quotations marks in the books. I agree with the second sign that if you need to add emphasis you should use italics not quotation marks. It seems to be a growing tread to add quotations marks where they are not needed.  



2 comments:

  1. The web site you chose is designed very well. The picture lets you know what the site is about without having to read any text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read "Eats Shoots & Leaves" for my book report. I thought it was a great book and I learned a lot from it.

    ReplyDelete