Sunday, November 2, 2014

Let's start at the very beginning.

I believe that the beginning to John Grisham's novel "The Partner" is interesting and attention grabbing. 

They found him in Ponta Pora, a pleasant little town in Brazil, on the border of Paraguay, in a land still known as the frontier. 

They found him living in a shaded brick house on Rua Tiradentes, a wide avenue with trees down the center and barefoot boys dribbling soccer balls along the hot pavement. 

They found him alone, as best they could tell, though a maid came and went at odd hours during the eight days they hid and watched. 

They found him living a comfortable life but certainly not one of luxury. 

He uses the same word for the start of each sentence which leads to a feeling of parallelism. This beginning grabs and holds the reader's attention. They are curious to learn more about this mystery man. He also uses imagery very well to paint a picture of the surroundings. 

Grammar Error: 

I found this image on my Facebook feed this week: 

Displaying Screenshot_2014-10-26-22-23-16.png

While the incorrect "your" being used makes me shudder, you at least cannot fault them on consistency. 

Edited: Hurt me and you're going to feel pain. Hurt my best friend and you're going to need an ambulance. Hurt my family and I'm going to need a shovel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment