Saturday, November 15, 2014

Headlines (blog 11)

II actually have enjoyed doing the headline assignments. It's different to have to come up with a succinct and interesting enough headline that will draw readers into the story. 

Here are a few things I learned while doing the reading and attempting to write my own headlines. These are tips from the power points, but having to go over the rules here in he blog helps me to remember the tips.

Headlines are written in present tense, even when he event occurred in the past.
The exception to past tense is when new information is available for an older story.
Use "to" to indicate future action in headlines.
Commas can be substituted for "and."
A semicolon can be used to separate two sentences.
Single quotation marks are used in headlines for quoted material.
In general, headlines don't have periods.

Headlines should reflect the most important part of the story and how the story affects readers. Headlines should be specific and fit the tone of the story. If a headline must be broken up into two sentences, be careful how you break up the headline. Headlines should be worded differently than the lead of the story. Only use names, places and acronyms that are well known and that readers would recognize. 

Here is the editing mistake of the week that I found online on social media:


Illegal and disgusting were misspelled! And anywhere should be one word. Great sign! :)



1 comment:

  1. I don't even smoke and this sign makes me want to go light up and stand right under it. Obviously that isn't what they were going for, but when I see signage that is so off, it makes me want to go do the opposite of what they're asking. Lesson to be learned: double and triple check public announcements before you put them up. You might get a stubborn punk who wants to make a point. If I can't read what you're saying, I can't do what you're asking!

    ReplyDelete