Sunday, November 2, 2014

Great starts (blog 10)

A great start to a book is something that will captivate your audience. A great lead will make the reader continue reading. When you start to write, knowing the theme and the voice of your book is essential. Starting out with a good lead is crucial if you want your audience to be enticed enough to read the rest of your work. Providing just enough information in the lead to be interesting will provide a good start to any piece of writing. 

I use this example of a beginning of a book from Brene Brown. I have read a couple of her books in the past couple of months and the way in which she describes experiences keeps me interested and makes me want yo continue reading. A book is unlike a newspaper article in that you can't entice readers with a headline. You have to make the first page compelling enough to intrigue readers. 
This the first page from Brene Brown's book titled "Daring Greatly." Her books are always easy to read because she teaches and informs readers in such an interesting way. She tells many of her own experiences, which makes her relatable. Starting with a story and her own thoughts as she does, makes me want to find out how the story ends. To find this out, I have to turn the page. 

My editing mistake comes from the AP styleguide!
There is a missing period after the sentence
"The mere fact that a libel was printed was sufficient to establish liability."




1 comment:

  1. I like how you say you need to provide just enough information in the lead to keep you reader going. That is really true. I wonder how many stories or news articles i would have liked but never read because the lead never caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete