Sunday, November 16, 2014

Planning a trip to 'Euguene'?


I learned so many rules this week that I had no idea existed! They applied to things I’ve always noticed, but although I noticed them, I hadn’t realized it was because they were following their own set of rules.

Something I usually see with news headlines is that they tend to speak in an understandable form of broken English. The substation of the word “and” for a comma is a great example of this. If you’re writing a story, or even an article, you aren’t going to be cutting out words like “and” to fit a certain measurement of space. If you tried to submit an article with those shortcuts, your editor would be surprised by your failed attempt at English. However, if you took that same sentence and turned it into a headline, the same editor would be pleased. Its because headlines have their own set of rules that we have all just learned to read and understand without learning the backstory to them – until this semester.

            A topic that has been discussed in this section that I still don’t entirely understand is the differentiation between up style and down style. It seems so strange to me that something like that is acceptable both ways and just left up to the company to decide what format they’ll produce content using. Comparing the New York Times to Newsday is an example of this. Something about these visual differences just bothers me; I wish this were a rule that wasn’t left up to personal preference. 

 Editing mistake of the week: I thought this mistake was particularly funny for two reasons: First, the article was written by a paper that is located in Oregon, so they can't fall back on an excuse that maybe they weren't familiar with the city. The second reason is that it was posted last Thursday and still has not been corrected. Usually I have to screen shot mistakes because they'll go in and edit immediately but this particular post has stayed up for almost a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment