Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Good Headlines

I enjoyed this past week’s assignments, particularly “Finding Headlines”. I thought it was fun roaming the internet and looking for each of the type of headlines we were assigned to find. The type I found the most difficult to find was a humorous headline. I still often read The Seattle Times online as I am originally from Seattle and that publication still remains my newspaper of choice. On their website I was finally able to find what I believed classified as a humorous headline:


My brazen car prowlers turn out to be state’s ‘Most Wanted’” – The Seattle Times, 11/07/14

 

This headline made me smile and intrigued me enough to read a bit of the article while I was doing the assignment. I hadn’t considered humor to be an important aspect of headline writing going into the assignment, but afterward realized how effective that type of headline really can be. I suppose if it’s “cheesy” humor or cliché, then it may not grab readers’ attention so much, but if it's genuinely funny (as I believe my example to be) it can go a long way in connecting with a reader.

 

Editing Mistake


From an email I received at work this morning:

“The Vhive web application is backup up and should be functional.


I encounter this situation daily, when I have to re-read a sentence in an email in order for it to make sense. In this example, the sender of the email meant to say “back up” but instead typed “backup” which of course, gives the sentence an entirely different meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment