Sunday, September 7, 2014

Comma or Semicolon?

More than any other punctuation mark, the comma and the semicolon confuse me the most. And just when I think I've got it figured out, I realize I've misused them…again. Why are these two little punctuation marks so complicated, right? I was taught the comma is used to create a pause, while the semicolon is used to connect two independent clauses—seems pretty straight forward. However the English language has many nuances and the proper use of punctuation is no exception.

The book lists a whole myriad of proper uses for the comma. They include the separation of two independent clauses connected by a coordinating conjunction; setting off long introductory clauses and phrases and some shorter clauses and phrases that would be confusing without it; setting off nonessential clauses; separate items in a series; separate coordinate adjectives; setting off parenthetical expressions, and setting off participial phrases that modify some part of the independent clause.

The semicolon is also used to create pause. However the pause that the semicolon creates is supposed to be longer than the comma, but not the full stop of a period. Semicolons are used to join independent clauses not connected by a coordinating conjunction, link more than two independent clauses in a series, separate internally punctuated independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction, and setting off parts of a series that also contain commas.


The book issues a blaring contrast to my understanding of the use of a semicolon. Although grammatically correct, the book cautions against the use of a semicolon to connect two independent clauses. I’m beginning to understand the confusion…

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this. I just always thought a common was a pause and and a semi colon was joining to independent ideas or statements. After reading I think I understand it better than I did but I'm still a little unsure

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post had a lot of really good information in it. I think this is one of those grammar rules that is not black and white. In English 210 our professor mentioned that we should avoid using the semi colon in professional writing. I have made a habit of avoiding the semi colon not just because of my professors comments, but because I never knew when to use it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use semicolons a bit too much, I'm not exactly sure why, perhaps I just don't want to bother creating new sentences. After reading the chapter on punctuation in the textbook though I am going to try to use them more sparingly and when I do use them, to make sure I am using them correctly. I think I understand better now how they can make professional writing seem rather cluttered.

    ReplyDelete