Sunday, September 28, 2014

What are we yelling about?

Chapter 6
Until I took an english class last fall, I don't think I was ever really taught all that went into making a sentence work. All I remember from high school and lower-level math classes was just reading a book and than doing a report on it. But this chapter really gave me a good reminder of what I had learned in that class.
It still blows my mind that a noun can be some many different things and after reading this chapter, it is starting to make a lot more sense for me. A noun being a direct object has always been hard for me, I never could figure out exactly why it made sense. But after seeing that it can be used with a transitive verb gives me something to build on as I try harder and harder to get that part down.

Chapter 7
When I write, I usually forget that everything needs to have agreement. Even some of my stories don't have much agreement on the topic I am writing about during the first draft. I have always been confused, whether it be talking or writing, about the use of the pronouns like who, whom, he, she, etc. After learning about the three different forms: nominative, objective and possesive. It gave me a better understanding of what I needed to do to clean up that part in my writing. Once I was able to understand the relationship, I feel like the homework and quiz were a lot easier for me. I was able to actually know why I was using that part of speech rather than just thinking that it sounded right.

Error of the week
A house was for sale when I was driving through Pocatello, Idaho this past weekend and it had a sign that said the following:
3 bedrooms/2 bathrooms
Steal this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment