Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Grammar Girl Has You Covered

     My favorite way to learn from and amend my grammar mistakes is from the Grammar Girl’s status updates on Face book. For more in depth investigations into my lack of grammatical prowess the website http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-girl is my go to source. The advice is nice, straight-forward, even compassionate, regarding our grammatical inadequacies; she does not go off all grammar-Nazi on you. Even the most troublesome quandaries are answered with easily understood groovy memory tricks. In a way it is like the Grammar Girl takes you by the hand and walks you through the Punctuation Jungle, or steers you around the Spelling Iceberg, so you come out the other side better prepared to write more effectively.

     This week’s editing mistake comes from an article about an educational campaign for a program in New York. It is ironic that a $650,000 educational campaign would overlook a grammatical error on any of their material. Something as simple as two simple unnecessary commas can really wreak some grammatical mayhem. It just goes to show anyone can get tripped up by rules and regulations of the English language.


2 comments:

  1. I also use Grammar Girl quite often. I like how easy to use the website is and find the information to be well written and easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Grammar Girl all the time! I love that she breaks things down and explains them in a way that is easier to understand than how textbooks tend to write. I wish the website was a little easier to navigate though.

    ReplyDelete