Sunday, September 28, 2014

OWL stands for Online Writing Lab, not Ordinary Wizarding Levels

          Over the last five weeks, I have found that many of the rules of grammar are easy to apply, but difficult to articulate. Such is the case with dangling modifiers. They are pretty easy to spot in a sentence because they sound (or look) wrong; however, fixing them is challenging. I came across a very helpful page while I did my dangling modifiers assignment. I kept coming up with solutions that removed the modifying phrase altogether and completely restructured the sentence. This site was great! Here is the link: http://www.towson.edu/ows/moduledangling.htm
I didn’t navigate the rest of the site, but I bookmarked it just in case I need some extra help in the future. If the rest of the modules are anything like this one, I know they’ll come in handy! They started out with misplaced modifiers and worked their way up to dangling modifiers. The module provided two ways to fix dangling modifiers.
  1. Leave the modifier as it is.
  2. Change the main part of the sentence so that it begins with the term actually modified.  This change will put the modifier next to the term it modifies.
OR

1.     Change the dangling modifier phrase to a subordinate clause, creating a subject and verb.
2.     Leave the rest of the sentence as it is.

As I did the assignment, I kept coming up with solutions that kicked my sentence into passive voice. Did anybody else have this problem?

1 comment:

  1. I was also very confused in the beginning about the dangling modifiers. I would find some samples but then some of them were still confusing to me. I looked up the website that you posted and it was great! Thank you for the reference.

    ReplyDelete