Monday, September 29, 2014

Writing a sentences is a complex relationship.

Everything about chapter 4 and 5 just helped me realize just how much I don't really know about the english language or sentences in general. I wish I could go back and just be in elementary school some days and just write those easy sentences. I walked or the cat jumped. That is when life was easy.
But like with all things in life, we must learn and grow. The way to grow as a writer or editor is to master the sentence and its components. If a tennis player wants to be the best, he must master the backhand because there is no way he can win every match with his serves. It's that we should force ourselves to learn but we should enjoy the journey to becoming a better writer.
Dead constructions is something that I catch myself doing a lot. As the book says their main objective is to just take up space. I can't imagine how many times I have used there is or it is just to add a few more words or pages to my paper. I think it's a silly habit that I fell into early on during my middle school days as I was more worried about page length than the quality of my paper. If everything was spelled right, that is really all that mattered to me.
I felt that I handled chapter 5 better than chapter 4 due to the fact that we are taught about verbs almost the moment we walk into first grade. They make sense to me because we are always doing them even when we are sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment