Friday, September 19, 2014

When Words Collide....My Words Are Colliding!!

I used to think that I spoke quite intellectually.  I have never been one to use "big words," but I have known the difference between "lay and lie," and "She and I," and all of those basic rules.  But after beginning this class, I have decided that the English language is pretty complicated and there is a different rule for everything!

I have enjoyed this week a little better though.  I think that the Topical Guide in "When Words Collide" is going to be my new best friend. I have finally figured out the "who/whom" rule. It is funny because some people think they sound so intelligent when they throw in "whom" when it should actually be "who."  For instance, if someone were to say, "Who should we see at the play tonight?" they would be incorrect.  It is always important to remember that "who" is the subject and you use "whom" for the direct object. This is a tricky question because the subject in this sentence was "we" and then the direct object was "whom."  It is easy for me to remember that in a question using one of those words, try turning it into a statement and if you have the direct object, make that the "whom."

My favorite new rule that I have finally conquered is the "its/it's" rule.  Maybe I should be embarrassed to say it, but I had never realized that there is not possessive "it's."  So when we learned that you only put an apostrophe there if you are going to say the words "it is" or "it has."  What a great way to remember the rule, and so much more simple than I had ever imagined!

One of the rules that is a big pet peeve that I hear people use incorrectly is the "good/well" rule.  There are so many times when I have asked how someone is doing, and they say, "Good."  It is important to remember that we use the word "good" when we are describing a subject, not a verb.  For example, "The restaurant is good."  Then we use well if asked, "How are you feeling?"  Then we respond, "I am feeling well."  It is funny because I have taught this rule to my children for many years and they do a great job and remembering this rule.  The bad part about it is that sometimes I hear them correcting others that use the words incorrectly.

For the last rule that sometimes confuses me that I enjoyed having a great reminder, I struggle with the words "affect/effect" sometimes.  Luckily for me, the Topical Guide does mention that it is one of the most common usage errors, so I don't feel too illiterate.  It is amazing what one little letter can to do change a whole meaning!

I really liked the definition in the book: "Affect is almost always a verb that means 'to influence' or 'to pretend to have.' Effect is almost always a noun that means 'result' or 'impact.' "  (The problem is, the book goes on to say that there are also exceptions to those rules.)  I guess that is why the book says "almost always."   So I will try to not get confused and when I use a sentence like: "The event of 9/11 had a huge affect on the country."  In this case, it is a verb.  Then when we say, "We will never know the final effect of terrorism," we are using it as a noun because it means "impact."

I hope I haven't confused anyone too much.  For my editing example for this week, there has been one that has driven me crazy for many years. It was recently taken down so I can't take a picture. It was a sign on the side of a large building, which I believe was an auto mechanic's place.  In very large letters it said, "Daves' Garage."  It has bothered me for years.  I didn't know the owners or I might have stopped in and asked if there were two "Daves" working there.  If that were the case, then I guess it wouldn't be an error, but by the looks of it, I think there was just one. And now he is out of business.  Hopefully he went back to school and took an English or editing class!!

4 comments:

  1. I have a hard time remembering the difference between "affect" and "effect" too. The book did help with clarifying when to use each. I think it's funny that your kids correct others speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you said in your first paragraph, English is really more complicated than I ever could have anticipated before starting this class. I am learning more rules in this class than I ever learned in Math 1050. I though I spoke correctly just as you did, but I am frequently proved wrong after each passing week of this class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the rules of English totally overwhelm me. I only have 5 more classes until I graduate and I don't think I have ever stressed about a class like I stress about this one. As I read the book a few things stand out and I feel like I really understand it but for the most part I just get more and more stressed the more that I read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie, I can relate to so much of what you wrote in your blog this week. Isn't it crazy how much you think you know until you take an editing class? The its/it's rule stood out to me because i've always been unsure about the proper usage. I've always gone off the hope that everyone reading was just as unsure.
    Your editing mistake made me laugh! Sadly so many things like that make it through the editing process and end up on large advertisements and signs. Errors like that make me unsure about the quality of work they offer and I often take my business elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete