Sunday, September 28, 2014

-:! Punctuation:,.

I took a magazine article writing class over the summer and the semicolon was a hot topic. Whenever anyone used one, the professor always said that semicolons always make the reader pause. Whenever I would use a semicolon, he would ask me if I could re-write the sentence to make is easier to read. But, I personally think that if a semicolon is used correctly, it should still be easy to read. You just have to follow these few easy rules.

1-      The semicolon is used to connect two complete sentences or independent clauses.
Correct Example: My mother loves peanut butter sandwiches; my dad adds bananas to his peanut butter sandwiches.
2-      When using a semicolon to connect two sentences, the ideas must be related
Incorrect Example: I love summertime; I have a pet cat.
3-      When used in a list, the semicolon separates the items listed.
4-      The semicolon can be used to separate parts of a series that also contain commas


The grammar error I found this week was at my new job. I was making a new postcard and was told to change a few things, but they missed one huge error. The word “thru” was used instead of the correct word “through.”

No comments:

Post a Comment