Saturday, September 13, 2014

Email Haste

I would like to preface this by saying that I am not perfect when it comes to writing perfect emails.  Sometimes I write them so quickly, and I hit send before thinking about what I have written.  So I understand that these mistakes happen all the time.  I think my 11th rule would be to double-check what you've written before sending it out, especially if the email is going out to a large number of people.

There are certainly things that are easy to overlook in an attempt to send out a quick email.  Here are a few things I came across in my inbox this week.


Remind me what time they are at!

I've become quite a germAfob.

Volunteers Needed! September 20th 8:30-12:30 pm


Here is how I would reframe or rewrite these sentences.

Can you remind me, at what time does the event begin? 

I reframed this so the sentence did not end with a preposition.  The use of the exclamation point was unnecessary, although, I use exclamation points all too often in email.

I've become quite afraid of germs.

I don't know if germaphobe or germaphobic are acceptable words, so I reframed the sentence to remove the word in question.  I do know however, that germAfob is definitely not the correct spelling.

Volunteers are needed Sept. 20, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. 

Again I removed the unnecessary exclamation point, and abbreviated the month September (AP style) and made the times (a.m. and p.m.) had periods.

Here is to using spellcheck, and to framing sentences so that are in proper format!  Oops, I probably shouldn't have used that exclamation point.  I should take my own advice.  :)





3 comments:

  1. I agree, when I am writing emails I tend to write quickly and not re-read. These leads to more mistakes than I would make in an essay. I love the misspelling of germaphobe in your examples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I re-read my emails all the time to check for mistakes. I have a person at work that uses text message speak in their emails and it bugs me. It makes him look lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the person who uses exclamation points like they're going out of style when I text. I like to sound excited and like I am engaged in the conversation while texting, so I use an exclamation point a big majority of the time. I do not care too much when sending out a text, but when I tweet or send out an e-mail I will always re-read each of them before I hit the send or post button.

    ReplyDelete