Sunday, September 28, 2014

Playing Catch-up: Punctuation Time


One thing I learned this week is that not all punctuations go inside quotation marks. I have always thought that it was a rule that punctuation goes inside. I actually looked this up this week because I thought I ran into an editing error that I saw in an online article.

The sentence in question had a semicolon outside of quotation marks. When I looked up the rule in when rules collide I learned that is was correct. I learned that the period and the comma go inside quotation marks, but exclamation marks, question marks and semicolons go outside of quotation marks.

My grammar mistake this week comes from a post that showed up in my Facebook news feed today. It said, “Check these guys out! They have a shop in Layton, building a new one in Morgan and have mobile detailing avaliable even in park city! Nothing sucks about a clean car!”

There are several things wrong in this post, including a miss spelling word and no company name. Here is a grammatically correct re-work of this post: “Check out Gorilla Shine Inc.! They currently have a shop in Layton. Mobile detailing is offered in Park City and a new location will open soon in Morgan. There isn’t anything better than a clean car!

No comments:

Post a Comment