Sunday, September 28, 2014

To whom this blog concerns.

Another week, another eye-opening list of assignments on our wonderful language. I have used who my whole life and will most likely continue to do so. Whom just does not sound right to me and it is not natural when it comes out of my mouth. However, for the sake of this class, I am trying to be correct and use both in the correct mediums.
Hyphens has always been something I have struggled with. It is hard to know where they do and do not go due to so many different phrases and rules for each different one.
The dangling modifiers and parallelism section actually made sense to me! I will probably say this wrong and confuse people, but what I noticed in doing this exercise and rewriting the sentences was just to rearrange everything so that it makes sense. That sounds stupid, I know. But that is all that we were doing. There was no secret to this assignment, no hidden agenda or rules, just common sense being applied when writing a sentence.

1 comment:

  1. The "who vs. whom" rule is one I have struggled with a lot as well. One helpful reminder I discovered this week to help is to replace "who" with "he" and "whom" with "him" and whichever word fits the sentence that is the word to select. I think it is helpful if you can find a reminder to help out with the rule.

    ReplyDelete