Friday, September 12, 2014

Grammar Is Your Friend Hollywood

I think the eleventh secret to writing well is, be interested in what you are writing about.  If you aren’t interested or don't care about what you’re writing about, why would the reader be interested or care.  Your thoughts will come across as uncaring.  Think of bad acting in movies or TV shows.  You can always tell if an actor doesn’t care about the movie or TV show, by the way they say their lines (example: all the “Twilight” movies).  I know that won’t make me popular by saying that, but the dialog and acting in those movies are terrible. 

    The sections on using "that or which” and “who or whom” in the “What you don’t know...” section of the reading are useful to me.  Those two things always confuse me and I stop and think about which one to use.  I probably get it wrong most of the time. Now I know “who” is always the subject and “whom” is the object.  I also learned to use “that” in restrictive relative clauses and “which” in nonrestrictive relative clauses.  Meaning use “that” for information that is necessary to the sentence and “which” for information that is unnecessary but useful to the sentence. 

 Here are some movie titles with poor grammar: 






Who Framed Roger Rabbit: The title should have a question mark (?) at the end, so it would be "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?". 






Law Abiding Citizen: There should be a hyphen between “Law” and “Abiding,” so it would be "Law-Abiding Citizen". 






Inglourious Bastards: Now this one is intentional, but “Inglourious” is spelled wrong, it should be "Inglorious Bastards".



3 comments:

  1. Your comment on Twilight made me laugh! Funny that these movie titles each had an error.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed several movie titles that are questions that lack punctuation. That has always bothered me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your 11th secret to writing well. You can tell if somebody is not interested in what they are writing about, whether it be a movie script, song, talk, etc., you can tell. I never thought about movie titles having to follow grammar rules, but now that you bring it up I'm sure I will notice more errors on those posters in the future.

    ReplyDelete