Thursday, September 4, 2014

Punctuation

I found the chapter on punctuation very interesting. The first rule of punctuation that peaked my interest and taught me something new was in the comma section, but particularly the part on nonrestrictive and restrictive clauses. I did not realize that when the middle section could be removed from a sentence and it still make sense that it was called a nonrestrictive clause. Now that I know the difference between these two clause, it will be easier to recognize them in my everyday reading and studies. Another punctuation rule that interested me was what was said about colons. I do not consider myself a writer by any means, but I have used colons in some of my past writing materials. However, just because I have used them, that does not mean that I fully understood what they meant. The book put it well when it said that a colon 'announces'. I have never thought of it this way, but hearing it in that term will make it easier to remember in the future. Reading through the textbook and doing these assignments has definitely been an eye-opener for me. In the past, I have just been writing to write and put a message out there, but after studying these materials and doing these exercises that have been introduced to us, I am beginning to realize how hard writing really is and how much time and effort have to continually take place.
I have been looking this past week for some punctuation errors, but to no avail. I have not found any. However, I have a friend who is a horrible writer. Whenever we communicate via text a comma is placed after almost every other word. He loves to use commas and it bugs me to read texts like that, but as far as this assignment goes it was perfect!

2 comments:

  1. I thought the colon part was interesting too. I never really knew what it was used for, until I read the book. I agree that writing is hard. It takes a lot time and work to write something good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your friend is a serial comma user :)
    I still have a lot to learn too.

    ReplyDelete