Sunday, September 14, 2014

How Do You Spell That..?

I think my eleventh secret to writing well is to ALWAYS use spell check. I can’t tell you how many times I come across emails, text in books, and even professor’s PowerPoint slides with misspelled words on it. That common mistake drives me absolutely crazy, because there should never be an excuse for misspelling a word. I often receive emails from professors that contain one or two words spelled wrong, and let me just tell you that ruins the credibility of the message. People expect us to be professional in everything that we do, and when we make inexcusable mistakes (like misspelling a word) that reflects on ourselves.

So, please remember to spell check everything you type. It is really not hard to press a button and let the computer edit your work. It will show that you are an intelligent human being and that you care about whatever you are writing.

On another note, here are some examples I’ve come across with terrible grammar and spelling. Seriously guys; no excuse! 





This is a ridiculous spelling mistake...Ahh! I have seen this sign before, but I relocated it on bitrebels.com.
 



 I don't know why, but i expected more from Dunkin' Donuts.. Although, I am not sure how many people will really notice this grammar error at 3am. 








I see grammar mistakes like this almost every day in newspapers. I wish I would have saved some to show you. There is definitely a HUGE difference between these two numbers! 
(Found this one on macsmusings.com)

1 comment:

  1. I feel it is important it is important to use the spell-check feature in Word as well. Especially with longer pieces of writing, it can become difficult to keep track of everything that may have been underlined while you were typing, and you may not catch all the underlines in the piece if you just manually go through it yourself. Also, if the spell-check feature provides me with a suggested change that confuses me, I like to look it up online just so I completely understand the rule.

    ReplyDelete