Sunday, October 5, 2014

Blog 6
The assignment this week was very helpful.  There were so many words that I thought I would automatically know but as soon as I had two options I almost always second guessed myself.  There were a few of them that I didn't have any clue what answer I should choose.  One of them was disburse/disperse.   I found out that disburse often has to do with money so the easiest way to remember it is to think about a purse.  Disburse sounds just like a purse.  Since women carry money in their purse it is always easy to remember.  Another one that I thought I knew was principle/principal.  If I just would have guessed I would have gotten it right but after looking at the two options I had to look it up just to make sure.  The easy way to remember this is to pronounce it princi”pal”.  A pal is a person or a friend so it’s easy to remember that your “pal” is the head of the school.  There were two questions that I would have gotten wrong if I didn't look them up.  It was toward/s and afterward/s.  I honestly thought that the “s” was on both of them.  Our book stated that you never use an “s” on either of them.  I have used those two incorrectly for as long as I can remember but now I know I will never get those wrong again. 

I just wanted to mention another website that I have found to be very helpful.  It is quickanddirtytips.com.  I have used this site a lot on past assignments and even more on this assignment.  This site gives very clear and meaningful definitions and uses examples that are very easy to understand.

Editing Error of the week

I was emailing my dad because we were thinking about going road biking and this is the email I received from him.

I don't know if I can ride my bike. My ankle is real swollen   I will have to try tonight. 


He should have used really instead of real. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post!! I agree that the lesson was helpful and even more beneficial when you were comparing two words. Many of them made me stop and think as to which word I use. Great lesson! And love your editing error....just wanted to know if you corrected him! :-)

    ReplyDelete