Sunday, October 26, 2014

The -isms


           This week’s blog entry is one that I really enjoyed researching.  I think equality is extremely important.  I find that oftentimes we tend forget that equality is often overlooked in media and communication, as well.
The example of sexism that I have found was on KSL’s website.  There was an article that was titled, “Florence fireman hurt while battling brush fire.”  Without knowing whether it was a male or female is beside the point.  The issue is that this is a career where both men and women are equally employed.  The appropriate way to write this would be, “Florence firefighter hurt while battling brush fire.”  This is more gender-appropriate. 
The example I located for racism is a little shocking but at the same time the use of the person’s race was not needed.  The title is,  “Mexican man posts horrific photos of him pointing a gun at his nephew’s head.”  Although the story is horrific, the fact behind the title is that they should have only put “man.”  This would eliminate any racism. 
Ageism is another thing that we should avoid.  The word I chose to look for was “senile.”  I think this can be a very offensive term to older people.  I found an article that had the word “senile” right in the title.  “50-year-old son arrested in the attempted murder of senile mother.”  The article could have simply described her as his mother and nothing more.  The fact that he is 50 will explain to us that she is obviously older than him.  There are also other ways to explain the mental state of someone without using the word senile. 
The last –ism to discuss is heterosexism.  I chose to look for something that showed someone being identified as their sexual orientation.  The book clearly states that we are not “straight people” or “gay people.”  I found an article titled, “Ex-gay man: “Homosexuality is just another human brokenness.”  I am not interested in the article itself, but the title is wrong.  He shouldn’t be identified as his sexual orientation.  It should have stated,  “A man, who claims to no longer be gay…”  I think it is very important to understand that we are all people and not known for any orientations. 
This week’s photo is great.  I would definitely recommend another school to my friends and family.  The use of the word “your” in both instances is incorrect.  It should be ”you’re” instead.  They are trying to say, “You are the dog…” This is one that I see people mistake all the time. 


 

2 comments:

  1. That picture makes me laugh. I love that they are trying to be funny AND that they are a school who should know better, and should know how to spell "you're".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! That's pretty silly that the jr. high misspelled you're.

    ReplyDelete