Sunday, October 5, 2014

Effect or affect, that is the question.

The two words I always confuse are affect and effect. I always second guess myself whenever I use one of them. But if I can replace them with certain words, then I know I am using the right one. If you can replace the word with to influence or influenced then the correct word is affect. If you can replace the word with to accomplish or result, then the word is effect.

Example: Lack of sleep affects/effects the quality of your work
Affect Test : Lack of sleep influences the quality of your work
Effect Test 2: Lack of sleep results in the quality of your work.
The correct word to use is affect

Example: The effect of the medicine on her illness was surprisingly fast.
Affect Test: The influence of the medicine on her illness was surprisingly fast.
Effect Test: The result of the medicine on her illness was surprisingly fast.
The correct word to use is effect.

The editing mistake I found this week was on Facebook. This weekend, once again, a friend misused the word there. My friend said, "I love there new house." The correct sentence would be, I love their new house. Facebook is full of these grammar fails. 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love your 'influences vs results' example for this one. These two words have been in confusion in my brain for years now. From now on I'm going to employ your example every time I have to use either of these words.

    ReplyDelete