Sunday, October 26, 2014

Creative writing at its finest


I am an avid listener of country music.  My favorite artist is Brad Paisley.  I base my guitar playing skills off of him. When I read this week’s blog post description I immediately thought of his book, “Diary of a Player.”  Not only is he lyrically talented at writing songs, he is also talented at writing books.  In his book, the following paragraph stood out the most:
“Back in junior high, most other kids weren’t all that impressed by this little odd kid with big ears and an even bigger guitar who had somehow developed the bizarre ability to ‘chicken pick.’  It was pretty hard to excite my peer group by playing a jazz standard like ‘Cherokee’ or maybe some bluegrass classic like ‘Salty Dog’ that they didn’t know.”
This paragraph illustrates his originality.  He tends to like making fun of himself in a lot of his songs and not many others do that like him.  He also gives descriptive detail to his looks, “bizarre ability” and the size of his guitar.  To me he seemed to use a slight repetition.  He stated in a few different ways that people weren’t too impressed with him back then because he only played certain types of music that is very unique.  I also liked his word choices.  He used less common words like bizarre, odd and peer group. 
The picture I used this week seemed like someone who solely learned English from a phonetics standpoint.  First, it is “wifi” and not “wife.”  The abbreviation of “continental” does not work either.  I am assuming someone who speaks Spanish wrote this because the put “ISPN” for “ESPN” and the letter “I” in Spanish makes the “E” sound in English.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you translated the sign. It would have taken me too long to figure out "wife" meant "wifi" alone. Someone's probably really disappointed they won't be getting a free wife for staying the night.

    ReplyDelete