Sunday, October 12, 2014

So Many Rules, So Little Time

I have been going to college on-and-off for the past 10 years.  In all that time I have never picked up or used one of my text books after the semester is over.  I believe all of that is going to change with the AP Stylebook.  I never realized how many little mistakes I have made in my writing throughout my life. There are so many little rules that I could never memorize even half of them but using this book has really helped me understand a lot of those rules.  This class has been extremely difficult for me and I have struggled every week but I am noticing that my confidence is also growing each week.  After the first two weeks of this class I was pretty sure that there was no way I could get a passing grade.  Although, I still think an A is out of the question, I do believe that I am going to pass this class.  Instead of avoiding grammar and writing around the things I don't know, I at least try to figure it out.  The AP Stylebook has helped a lot and I am sure it will be something I will use for a long time.  The one section that we used this week that I have always wondered about is how to write somebody's age.  I now know that you would use hyphens when writing something like, the 33-year-old man.  But what is interesting is that you don't use a hyphen when writing, the man was 33 years old. This is just one example of the many things I learned this week but it has always confused me and thanks to the AP Stylebook I will never have to wonder again.

Editing Mistake of the Week

In all honesty, I never did come across an editing mistake throughout the week.  My boss is still writing the word "tonite" each week in our notes at work but I have already reported that one.  I ended up fining a funny web site that gave examples of bad grammar and editing in college essays.  I think you will find them pretty funny and sad.  Enjoy!

- If there was a single word to describe me, that word would have to be “profectionist.”
- I was abducted into the national honor society.
- In my senior year, I am serving as writting editor of the yearbook.
- I want to be bilingual in three or more languages.
- I have made the horror role every semester.
- I want a small liberal in the northeast part of the country.
- Bates is a college I can excell in.
- I am writing to tell you that I was very discouraged when I found out that I had been differed from Bates.
- I am thinking of possibly transferring to your college. I applied as an undergraduate but was weight listed.
- I first was exposed through a friend who attends Vassar.
- I would love to attend a college where the foundation was built upon women.
- My mother worked hard to provide me with whatever I needed in my life, a good home, a stale family and a wonderful education.
- Playing the saxophone lets me develop technique and skill which will help me in the future, since I would like to become a doctor

1 comment:

  1. I actually agree with you on having one of these AP style books around for a while. I've never kept a textbook either, but the stylebook is a decent reference guide. As much griping as I do about it, it has actually served a valuable purpose for me on more than a bunch of occasions.

    ReplyDelete