Sunday, October 26, 2014

The bitter taste of currant

(week 7)

 I pride myself as someone who pays particular attention to the correct use of commonly mistaken words. Due to my longstanding dependence on spell check, I’ve gotten myself into trouble by overlooking certain words which are spelled correctly but used incorrectly. One such word is, “current.” Whenever I am discussing something that is happening “currently” I always have to stop and remember if it’s spelled with and “e” or and “a”, current or currant. I typically remember how to spell it correctly because I always think about the logo for Current TV, Al Gore’s television network. Talking about that now, it’s interesting to me how many things I do that with. I’m guessing that has something to do with subconscious visual communication or maybe it’s just me.

 For this week’s grammar fail comes from the immortal Hulk Hogan. Now, the Hulkster might be immortal, but his Facebook posts could use some TLC and I’m not talking about Tables Ladders and Chairs. Take a look:



Hogan has clearly attempted what appears to be a nice positive message for his fans. but the commas are all misplaced and used incorrectly. He also appears to be the victim of the dreaded autocorrect in his phrase “like attracts like.” I think he means to say “life attracts life.” Don’t worry Hulkster, you’re Hulkamaniac will always love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment