Sunday, October 26, 2014

The ball and chain AKA AP style

(week 7)

Oh AP style, you’ve been my cruelest mistress and my harshest critic. I struggle everyday with AP style and I’m not above admitting that. I’ve been using AP style since I began doing Journalism in 2012. Not a day goes by where I do not have to open that marvious AP Stylebook. So much in-fact that I bought it for my iPad; for reference sake, it’s much easier. The AP Stylebook keeps me in check with my writing. I am someone who enjoys the talking with sources and gathering information part of journalism. I also enjoy the writing part, but I tend to overlook the details, especially when a deadline is looming. I often reference the AP Stylebook for hyphen use, --wait, should I have used a hyphen there?

I also use the AP Stylebook when I am curious about cApItAlIzAtIoN-- Did I get that one right? In all seriousness, capitalization can be a hinderance, specifically when it comes to informal titles. I want to capitalize things like “Journalist Dan Rather” personally I think “Journalist” should be capitalized, however the AP stylebook tells us otherwise. I submit to you my queen, you are my ruler now.

No comments:

Post a Comment