Sunday, October 26, 2014

The AP Style Book is my best friend


I really enjoyed learning about times in the Associated Style Book.  On a daily basis I am writing emails constantly to set up meetings, demos, and conferences with potential and actual clients.  It has always been a struggle for me to be able to know how to correctly write times.  I was finally able to learn that this week and remember it. 
I used to write the time in many ways.  I would use any of the following: 10AM, 10 am, 10 AM, 10 A.M., 10:00AM, 10 a.m., and others.  I finally realized that the appropriate use is 10 a.m. when minutes aren’t needed.  I also learned that one should use a colon when minutes are needed.  For example, one would write 10:45 a.m. 
I occasionally would use 4 o’clock, but that began to seem weird and made me feel like the person I was writing knew that I had no idea how to write it appropriately.  I have really enjoyed using the AP Style Book because I have a reference guide there that really helps me get passed those silly questions in my mind that I have no idea how to answer.  It has helped me with anything from dates to titles (since my clients are all law enforcement administration).  I think it is a great book to have as a tool.
I liked this week’s picture because it is such a terrible mistake.  When discussing books that will help a child learn, it is vitally important to make sure your grammar is correct.  “Their” should be changed to “they’re” because they are learning and there is nothing possessive about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment