Sunday, October 5, 2014

Grizzly Bears, Gristly Meat, & Grisly Massacres

I had never even considered the different spellings of these three words, most likely because I do not use them often. The three words have different meanings as explained below:

- Grizzly: this refers to the bear.

ex. The grizzly beard felt rough and scratchy.

- Gristly: the refers to tough meat.

ex. That is a gristly steak, you should find a better butcher.

- Grisly: refers to blood, guts, and horror.

ex. The final scene of the horror movie was a grisly one.

Here is how I remember the differences:

Grizzly has two Z's, because bears spend the winter catching "Z's."
Gristly has a T, because meat is "tough" due to "tendons."
Grisly has no T's or Z's, just blood and guts.

The grammar mistake I found this week is actually a meme making fun of a grammar mistake. I find the image is a great way to stress the importance of comma use. I do find it funny that they used an ellipsis incorrectly in the meme. The ellipsis is unnecessary and actually should just be a period.


2 comments:

  1. The hints you've given for telling the spelling differences apart hit spot on! They make total sense. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate the tip you gave for those three words. I was really unsure about that question and even after looking it up I still got it wrong. If I had you hint while doing the assignment I wouldn't have messed that one up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete