Sunday, October 5, 2014

New pet peeve every time I visit the grocery store

I never seem to remember everything on my grocery list when I go. In fact, I usually find myself running to the grocery store for one or two items that were missed. So instead of a week’s worth of food, I need to check out my things quickly. I definitely don’t want to wait for the people with a cart full of stuff! Ah! So I head to the express lane and see this:


Before this week’s lesson, I never would have looked twice at this sign. But now, every time I see it, I will think, Aww man, doesn’t anybody know anything? 10 items or less is wrong because less refers to bulk or quantity and few refers to individual items.

            My second example is from a sad story I read this week on kutv.com.
“Sabrina was 5-years-old, when her mother who was not given custody of the child, alledgedly kidnapped her and escaped to Mexico.”

AP Style is very clear about not using alledgedly. I don’t know how the journalist who wrote this didn’t catch the error.  In my Media Writing class, we talked about how nowadays, a lot of these online articles need to go up as the news develops. As a result of the rush, the journalists often make this kind of mistakes.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! This is hilarious because for some reason I thought about this very thing when looking up the fewer/less entry in the stylebook. Good catch here.

    ReplyDelete