Sunday, October 12, 2014

Is there an AP style for that?

Although I still think that these assignments are too long and a little redundant after 75 or 100 questions, I like the quiz that we had this week. I learned a lot this week and enjoyed the direction that we were taken through the book when looking for answers.
One thing that I did not realize was how to handle writing cents when the amount is less than $1. I did not realize the write out amounts and spell out cents when less than $1. I used to work at a bank, and when writing down amounts I would just put $0.45 for example. I guess I quit that job for a reason.
Another thing that I was not aware of, but now know is the use of the word 'annual'. I always thought saying something was the 'first annual' was correct, but now I know that dropping the 'annual' in that phrase is correct. It takes two to make something annual and I am glad that I know that now.
Overall, this week taught me that I need to use the AP Stylebook more, and I am going to do my best to do that.

2 comments:

  1. Jeff, I can totally share your frustration with the long quizzes/assignments but unfortunately at the same time I see how useful they can be. Answering the same type of question over and over feels awful but quite often I will answer on something i'm pretty sure about and then if I see it again I will look it up only to find out I had been wrong. The repetition forces some of the rules into my brain that I might not have studied otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For all the times I've seen "first annual" written out on various banners or online I was quite surprised to hear that's incorrect. And yes, I agree, the assignments are surprisingly time consuming, but like Sarah mentioned above, I wouldn't learn the rules any other way with how tedious committing grammar rules to memory can be.

    ReplyDelete