Sunday, October 5, 2014

Words.

So many questions and words.  So many questions and words.  So many questions and words.
This week's module pretty much just put the final nail in the coffin.  It frustrated me, and made me feel angry on more than one occasion.  After this week I'm convinced that I am now more self-conscious than ever about writing anything ever again.  Which was something that I actually used to enjoy doing.  The other thing I realized is that I now have zero desire whatsoever to ever take a job as an editor.  No thanks, I'd rather drill a hole in my head.

Another thing I learned is that you can't count on the AP Stylebook for everything.  There are some things that are not in there.  I guess this is where having a lot of tools at your disposal really comes into play.  The internet is a wonderful tool for grammar and word research.  As a matter of fact, I find myself typically going to good ol' Google first if I'm anywhere near the internet.  Not that the Stylebook isn't useful, there's a lot of really great stuff in there.  It can just sometimes be cumbersome to leaf through and there's no way to have more than a couple in-depth examples throughout without having the thing weigh 60 lbs.

So one of the rules of the week that I thought was really great was the towards/toward, afterwards/afterward thing.  Towards and afterwards are no-nos.  It's something that I suspect that I'll see misused all the time.  Another one that I've had wrong for years was the use of the word nauseous.  Which now makes me feel nauseated.

So I've had to resort to social media for grammar errors because I'm still very slow to catch them out in the real world.  Since I don't personally have Facebook, I took a scroll through a friend's wall.  Grammar fail: "Will someone who is not to be named please come get there car out of my driveway?"  I would write this as such: Will someone-who-is-not-to-be-named please come get their car out of my driveway?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were some difficult questions on that "Right Words" quiz but I definitely feel as if I have a stronger grasp of vocabulary after completing it. I missed the question in relation to "nauseous" and "nauseating" but I definitely learned how to better apply them afterward. I agree that the AP Stylebook can be a bit frustrating sometimes, especially with that "flyer" vs. "flier" question, it didn't really give a clear answer in reference to jets or the Air Force (yet I still find it a useful reference in many cases).

    ReplyDelete