Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Blog Post #7- Repetition, repetition, repetition

They say repetition is the key to learning, but can it also be a key to effective writing?
“Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”- Robert Frost (1923)
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Frost uses many words to let us know it’s snowing- flake, frozen, snow. He also repeats the last line of the poem in its entirety, suggesting he still has a long journey before reaching his destination. I think he repeats the last line not just to let us know it’s the end of his poem, but the end of his minute to himself in the woods.

Editing mistake of the week: a facebook status update made a splash @ http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/photos/20-more-hilarious-facebook-grammar-fails by posting “...OMG can it get anymore hotter. This day has just confirmed that hell has came. I wounder if I can used that excuse not to go to work tomorrow??? Hhmmmmm…”

Pretty sure this sentence broke every grammar rule I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment