Sunday, October 12, 2014

Life Line through College

I found this week's information to be very helpful and interesting. I was especially interested in the section on sports guidelines. It is interesting to me how in-depth the information for sports reporting is. Normally sports is not a huge interest of mine so I learned a lot. Strangely I learned quite a bit about sports by just reading this section. As I am interested in horses I found all of the detailed information on horses very exciting. As horse racing is a very lucrative industry I am not surprised that a lot of information is provided on it.

This book has become essential in my studies. I have used it more than I ever expected. I find myself looking up information for all of my classes, not just this one. I admit, sheepishly, that I have been reliant on spell-check for far too long. It does not catch all mistakes, but until now I assumed it caught enough. I was re-reading a speech I wrote for a competition in high school and was embarrassed by all of the mistakes I now see. I will continue to use this book for the remainder of my college career and throughout my professional career. With the career path I have chosen it has become more and more apparent that good writing skills are absolutely a must.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about stumbling upon useful bits of information. When looking up rules in the AP Stylebook I too am often discovering cool facts about random things. An unexpected aspect that makes the class all that more beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed reading the sports section and was really glad that they had it separate and easy to reference in the book. I really learned a lot!! We also agree on the fact that this book has become essential in my studies, and will be for more than just this class. We can't depend on spell-check and it will help in the future with many of the writing assignments that will come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can also see how this book can help me in my career path. I am an Org Comm major and my emphasis is Training and Development. If I really end up where I would like to be I will use so much written communication. I'm sure I will always use this book.

    ReplyDelete