Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sexism, Racism, Agism...



Sexism

After reading the list of sexist terms, I realized that I have been taught and teaching many of them. The one that stuck out to me the most was the term ‘fireman.’ If you ask any kindergarten class what they want to be when they grow up, many of them will respond with fireman. Whether the child be male or female, most of them will use the term ‘fireman’ and not ‘firefighter.’




Racism

This new Lifetime show, sadly, is one of my guilty pleasures. The show opens with the statement, “Trapped inside every white girl is a strong black woman ready to bust out.” How did this show make it on TV? It constantly points out the stereotypes of white and black women. The women are also clearly identified by their race. Let’s see if this gets picked up for a second season.


Ageism
This was an “ism” that I never really thought about. So, I Googled it. I found this interesting article http://fortune.com/2014/06/19/tech-job-ads-discrimination/. The article talks about many employers that are discriminating by age. Companies are placing ads for positions in need of “new grads” and “recent grads.” Using these terms, are turning away older applicants. This article is worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment