Sunday, October 19, 2014

Forever in a state of misery.

Stephen King is my favorite author of all-time and he forever will be. I am not a huge fan of scary movies, haunted houses and other things along those lines. However, when I start reading a book written by The King, I can't stop and often finish in an unbelievably short amount of time. As most people know, King writes his books in the horror genre and he does a great job of drawing the reader in page after page. He is very descriptive in his writing, which allows the reader to have a vivid picture of what is going on in the book and what the characters should look like. I have read a good handful or two of his books, but the one that first got me started on him was Misery. It is about a writer who gets in a car crash and his number one fan saves him and keeps him with her until he writes a new book specifically for her. That is a very brief description of the book, but I do not want to ruin it for anybody! Anyways, here is a paragraph out of the book in which King does a great job of descriptive detail:
               She reached into her skirt pocket again and brought out the butcher knife. Its keen blade
               glimmered in the brightening morning light. She suddenly twisted to the left and threw the
               knife. Se threw it with the deadly, half-casual grace of a carnival performer. It stuck,
               quivering, in the plaster below the picture of the Arc de Triomphe.

The book I am reading this semester is called On Writing. It is written by Stephen King and it is about his past, how he got started in this business, the struggles and successes that he went through, and his secrets to becoming a good writer. It is a great book and I am learning a lot from it every time I pick it up. I know we are halfway through the semester, and it might be a little late, but I am starting to enjoy this class and writing more and more each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment