Sunday, October 26, 2014

The -isms (blog 9)

Sexism

This one is probably, I would assume is the most widely used stereotype. Sexist language or sexist assumptions are made so frequently that sometimes as a society I think we have gotten used to it in common language.

This picture makes the assumption that women belong in the kitchen and men belong at work. My how times have changed. It's perfectly normal for women to work full time in this day and age. 
Heteroism 

To be honest, I probably don't think about this one too much. And reading this section made me think about the images we see frequently. I know I make assumptions of what I think how something should appear. When depicting or describing someone else's lifestyle, we must be sensitive to others' opinions. I saw this ad and thought that not all eharmony users may not identify with such an image.
Racism

I remember hearing about this story last year when it first aired on television. Julie Chen, a cohost on The Talk, a daytime talk show, told her story of when she was younger. Julie said that as a young news reporter, her news director told her that she looked too Asian. Julie said that later on, another agent told her that he would not represent her because of her Asian appearance and that she should get eye surgery. Julie admitted to having eyelid surgery in order to help her career. It is sad that we live in a society that would focus so much on race and appearance, that someone would have to go to this great length to feel like she could succeed on television. Here is a before and after picture that Julie showed on The talk. 

Ageism

I think we do tend to focus too much on appearance and are too caught up in stereotypes. As a society we tend to think that something newer, younger and shinier is better. There is a stigma around aging, and because of this an older woman or man may not be considered as desirable or thought of in a good way. The stereotype depicted on this billboard is so common. Something newer or younger is always better, right? 


If we can learn anything from these images, it is to avoid using such language in writing and advertising. It will avoid offending others and could avoid controversy with advertising.

My editing mistake came from a coworker again this week. I received a calendar appointment reminder about daylight saving time. Because this was on a recent quiz I thought it would be a good fit to include on the blog.

The calendar reminder said, "Don't forget to set your clocks backward for dailight savings time".

She misspelled daylight saving time. 

1 comment:

  1. For your editing error, I used to say daylight savings until I learned about it in this class. The next time it comes around, I want to pay attention to the news casters and listen to hear if they make the same mistake.

    ReplyDelete